Nobody knows how the Trump presidency will end. How much grief and destruction will he wreak before then? And how will it end? By impeachment? At the ballot box? By stepping down after 8 years? Even - as has been suggested - by a bullet? Whatever the future holds, Trump should be labelled now as what he is - a fascist.
Here are five reasons why Trump should be properly described as a fascist.
- He is contemptuous of the democratic process.
- He is contemptuous of the rule of law.
- He stigmatises and persecutes minorities. He falsely describes some as being an existential threat to the country.
- He lies and fabricates. He undermines and threatens those who tell the truth. He uses hyper-nationalistic language - “Make America Great Again”.
- He is an arch narcissist and sees himself as the source of all “legitimate power”.
It is easy to underestimate Trump; to dismiss him as a buffoon; to think he can be controlled. That was exactly how many people felt about Hitler in 1933.
Unless Trump is stopped - and he may well be - it is likely that he will bring democracy in the US to an end, at least for a period. Democracy means not only free and fair elections but also the rule of law, a free press, rights for minorities etc.
Trump may also seek war, as fascists tend to do, in order to distract and to bolster their own position.
It matters a great deal that Trump is labelled a fascist and that the label sticks so that no one can think of him without recognising that he is a fascist. Would Theresa May have been so sycophantic to “Trump the fascist”? Would the press-barons Murdoch, Rothermere/Dacre, Barclays, Desmond be so brazen in their support for “Trump the fascist”? Would the BBC feel it necessary to provide balance for “Trump the fascist”?; to give fascism a “fair hearing”?
Trump is a fascist; we should call him one. All the time.